Any Indiana HPERD professional who meets the eligibility requirements and exemplifies the criteria below may be nominated for this award.
- Current member in Indiana AHPERD.
- Preparation in one or more areas of professional concern of the Association,
- Minimum of ten years professional experience in HPERD and/or allied areas, and
- Be at least 35 years of age (as of October 15 of the year of nomination submission).
The applicant must be an individual who:
- Serves professionally in school, community, and/or college/university programs to inspire others to live vigorously and courageously,
- Displays personal integrity and exemplifies the spirit of devoted service to the profession,
- By his/her leadership and industry, made an outstanding and meritorious contribution to the advancement of health, physical education, recreation, dance, and/or allied areas, and
- Demonstrates successful professional contributions in teaching, scholarship, and service. Must satisfy five or more of the following conditions:
a. Teaching (also includes Coaching, Performing, Supervising, and Directing)
i. Demonstrates outstanding teaching or coaching performance and/or administrative leadership ability,
ii. Meritorious contributions to HPERD through success in the medium of performing arts,
iii. Exceptional achievement in HPERD through program supervision or direction in school corporations, communities, departments, or agencies, and/or
iv. Contribution to the profession that has affected its philosophy or practices, not included in the above.
i. Significant number of presentations before educational groups, at assemblies, workshops, and/or conferences, and other such meetings held in the interest and promotion of health, physical education, recreation, dance, and allied areas,
ii. Author of articles accepted and published by the Indiana AHPERD Journal or other professional publications,
iii. Author or co - author of one or more books on health, physical education, recreation, and/or dance, and/or
iv. Engaged in systematic research or scholarly activity that has helped advance the profession.
i. Exhibited a devotion to the advancement of HPERD as exemplified by his/her leadership in the Indiana AHPERD,
ii. Distinctive leadership as a member of the Board of Directors of the Association,
iii. Chair of a committee of the Association, and/or
iv. Outstanding service with the Association or with an organization promoting the same general objectives as the Association over a period of years.
Complete online application by April 1, 2018 ApplyApplication requires one (1) letter of recommendation from applicant's principal or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award criteria.
Selection and Recognition Process:
- The Awards Committee will select one award recipient from the pool of qualified applicants.
- Applicants will be notified by June 1.
- The award will be presented at the State Conference in November.
- Award recipient is expected to present a session at the State Conference the following year.
Previous Award Recipents
|2013||Elise Studer Smith|
|2006||Eugenia (Genie) Scott|
|1990||S. Sue Barrett|
|1977||Norma Jean Johnson|
|W. W. Patty|
|Grace Fielder Holbrook|
|Hester Beth Bland|
|Emma Jane Gardner|
|Eleanor Forsythe St. John|
For more information, contact:
Connected Educator, Interactive PE
14059 Old Mill Circle
Carmel, IN 46032